You’ve found your dream home and everything is falling into place beautifully. Congratulations! There is so much to process when buying a new home, it’s enough to make your head swim. When looking for a home loan, for example, you may be uncertain about homeowners insurance and you’re not alone. Use this quick guide to familiarize yourself with it before making a decision.
Homeowners Insurance 101
Insurance is purchased to allow you to rest assured knowing your investment and future is safe and secure. There are a lot of things you may consider important in your life and your family, pets, and your home likely top the list. Consider the following tips when looking for a homeowners insurance policy for your new home.
Go Into The Details and Supplemental Policies
Generally speaking, details are important regardless the venture, but with your home and future at stake, taking the time to go over the details and fine print of your plan is vital. You want to think comprehensively, making sure to consider every possible angle and outcome. Detailed supplemental policies include, but are not limited to:
- Additional personal property “valuable articles” endorsement.
- Protection from flood damages.
- Sewer backup.
- Protection from damages caused by earthquakes
Don’t Forget About It
Explore all possibilities of what could go wrong so you don’t unintentionally leave anything out in the initial setup of your homeowners’ policy. Remember, a general rule of thumb is that it’s never safe to assume. No question is a dumb question and there’s nothing that could happen that isn’t worth discussing. As the years go by, it’s good to review your policy periodically to make sure you didn’t leave anything out.
Find Ways to Lower The Cost
You may notice that your homeowners insurance premiums will rise every year. Don’t be alarmed, however, as the cost of insurance rises along with inflation. However, there a few things you can do to get your cost down as low as possible.
- Before you sit down to speak with an insurance representative do research on their competitors’ pricing. They may state that it is a fixed price, but don’t be deterred. Now is the time for negotiation. Sometimes you may even find better luck with a different agent. The point is, don’t be afraid to stand your ground in negotiations.
- Don’t include your land value in the equation of overall value, you’ll be paying more when your land isn’t at any risk.
- Look to add multiple policies with the same insurer which may give you leverage for lower pricing.
- If you’re a loyal customer, seek out a discount. Often times, customers who hold policies for 5 years or more can save up to 10% with the same insurer.
Shop Around and Negotiate
It may take some time, but the savings can be well worth it. Check out this price comparison tool and ask around. The National Association of Insurance Commissioners (www.naic.org) has information that can help you choose, including complaints filed which can tell you a lot about what to expect. Keep in mind that price alone should not be your only consideration. Ensure that who you decide to go with is of quality service that will deliver what you expect during a claim year after year.
Find the Homeowners Insurance Plan to Fit Your Needs
There are so many decisions to make when buying a house and it can be overwhelming. Taking one thing at a time and working with an experienced real estate agent eases the load. It’s important to protect your investment with comprehensive homeowners insurance. Use this guide to get started today.
The Lippincott Team is your Cypress and Northwest Houston area source for real estate investments and information. Contact Us to learn more about buying a home or for assistance with any real estate need.